The first batch that I made is almost gone and I’ve just made my second batch. The only downside with this recipe is that the smell of garlic seems to get stronger and stronger as it ripens and I had to give up eating it in the office at work due to complaints about the smell! Ahhh well, I just eat it outside now – they don’t know what they’re missing.
Here it is – it’s quick and easy:
- 2 large beetroots
- 4-6 large cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of carraway seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Celtic sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Grate the beetroot or chop it into small pieces (I use a Mandolin type slicer with the matchstick slicing attachment that chops into thin slithers).
- Peel and slice the garlic thinly
- Combine the beetroot, garlic and carraway seeds in a bowl with the salt.
- Once well combined, pack into a jar and weigh down if possible with a plate or even a zip lock plastic bag full of brine for a couple of days until the juices come up from the beetroot and cover the beet mixture. If there isn’t enough liquid after a couple of days to cover the beetroot, top up with some brine (salt water solution).
- Leave to sit in a warm place for anything from a few days to a couple of weeks or more depending on temperature and your taste – taste it regularly until it tastes great to you then refrigerate to slow down the fermentation.
Adding some brine from an existing sauerkraut or other fermented veges can speed the process up. Enjoy!
Note: In the batch I made today I exchanged the Carraway seeds for about 1/2 cup chopped dill leaves and I also added some Kombu seaweed ( I try to remember to add just a little seaweed to all my ferments for the extra nutritional value). I added dill to my last sauerkraut and it gives it that traditional ‘pickle’ kind of flavour. I thought it would go well with the beetroot – we’ll see.
Don’t be scared to try different things. It’s not rocket science!!!
Latest posts by Sue Woledge (see all)
- Banana flour: Gluten free and paleo friendly - May 11, 2014
- Another raw food recipe: Choc peppermint slice. Yummo! - April 27, 2014
- The dangers of detoxing: My response to Mike Adams’ article - April 25, 2014