Wild Orange & Chocolate Keto Ice Cream Recipe
Ice cream is a special treat. That creamy mouth feel, sweetness that makes your mouth water… You know what I mean right? So when we decide we’re gonna eat low carb or keto, this question is gonna come up…
Can I Eat Ice Cream On The Keto Diet?
You can if it’s Keto ice cream! And if you’re an ice cream fan like me, then I’ve got good news for you. The Keto ice cream recipe that I’m about to share with you is AMAZING!
I just made it today for the first time I adapted this from another recipe and OMG…. It’s so friggin good. It’s just like real ice cream except you have to leave it out for fifteen minutes to soften a bit, otherwise you might break something trying to dish it up. 🙂
But why am I making Keto ice cream?…
Well it seems like every second person I talk to lately is on the Keto diet. I’ve been mulling it over for ages and I guess between my thinking about it (attracting others) and the fact that it’s really popular right now because it works for so many people AND it’s a diet that can be a lifestyle, people are just talking about it…
The great thing is that eating low carb or keto (unlike most other ‘diets’) can actually be a permanent change.
So I’ve actually played with low carb and keto in the past, but I’ve never really done it properly. However I realise now that the time has come for me to get serious because…
I’ve actually been fat for much of my adult life, but I haven’t been THIS fat for about 25 years.
What really cemented my decision was looking at a photo of myself at my nieces wedding recently and realising that I was looking kinda like Mama Cass from the Mamas and the Papas. 🙁 So I’ve decided that the time has come to get this body back into some kind of smaller shape.
That’s why I’m looking for and creating keto recipes and I’m realising that doTERRA essential oils are truly going to be a blessing for creating delicious flavours without adding sugars or carbs.
Here’s the recipe!
Wild Orange & Chocolate Chip Keto Ice Cream
- 4 Large eggs Free range/organic
- 1/4 cup Powdered erythritol or erythritol/stevia blend eg Swerve or Natvia
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1.5 cups Pure cream
- 1/3 cup Sugar free chocolate chips or chocolate pieces Unsweetened or sweetened with Stevia
- 12 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- Separate the eggs between two bowls.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat them with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the Erythritol and beat for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream until peaks form.
- In a third bowl, whisk the yolks.
- Chop the chocolate or chocolate chips into small pieces in a blender or grate.
- Fold in the egg whites into the whipped cream (do not stir).
- Fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the chocolate and 12 drops of Wild Orange essential oil
- Fold until well combined
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-friendly container and freeze until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to soften for 15 minutes before serving. Top with berries and/or nuts if wanted.
Don’t Like Orange & Chocolate? Try Another Variation!
You so don’t have to limit yourself to the orange and chocolate flavor for this ice cream. Mix it up. This is the beauty of using the essential oils for flavoring – you have so many options!
Lavender (go easy on the oil as it has a strong flavor!), Citrus Bliss (that’s all the citrus oils plus vanilla – yum!), any of the citrus oils such as Lime, Lemon, Grapefruit, Bergamot or Green Mandarin, or even herbs such as Rosemary (could be interesting…), Cardamom, Peppermint, and more.
And when it comes to the sweetener, if you’re not concerned about carbs, swap out the erythritol for date sugar or coconut sugar, or your sweetener of choice.
Let me know what variations you try in the comments below! 🙂