Are essential oils good for skin? Many of them are. In this post I’m going to share a few reasons why essential oils are a great option for skin care, and I’ll add a few DIY skin care recipes using essential oils at the end. So let’s get started…
Essential Oils For Healthy Skin
Using essential oils for healthy, glowing skin just makes sense. Particularly when you look at the often chemical laden alternatives!
Commercial skin care products, anti-aging skin care, and acne treatments are for the most part, filled with harsh chemicals that may be harmful no only to your health, but ironically, also to your skin!
Essential oils on the other hand are natural, safe when used correctly, and can have beautiful benefits for your skin.
They also make perfect ingredients in DIY skin care products, and if that floats your boat, then with your DIY products you’ll know exactly what you’re putting on your skin.
Harmful Ingredients In Skin Care Products
There are many ingredients commonly used in skincare products that just shouldn’t be there. In fact most skin care products available on the market contain harmful ingredients. Some companies are open about what is in their products with truthful labeling or online information, but many aren’t. These are common ingredients such as:
- Coal tar
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – SLS and SLES
- Propylene glycol
and many more…
These chemicals can cause real health problems.
Some of the health issues may be immediate and very noticeable, however others are subtle, often go unnoticed, and slowly but surely create or contribute to health problems over the long term.
An example of an immediate and obvious danger from these chemicals was friend of mine who bought a new skin care product from a local spa. It had such a serious and immediate reaction that it burned the skin off her entire face! It took close to a year for her skin to recover. Her face was sore, red, shiny and peeling for many, many months.
Slower and more subtle effects however may include anything from premature aging of skin, skin sensitivities and irritations, breathing disorders, inflammation of eyes, hayfever type symptoms, foggy head and even more serious illnesses such as cancer.
The Danger Of Synthetic Fragrances
One of the real dangers in many skin care and personal care products (also cleaning products), are synthetic fragrances.
Synthetic fragrances are created with chemicals made in a laboratory.
These fragrances are mixtures of ‘who knows what’, bundled together to create a desired smell. They are proprietary, so no-one really knows what’s in them, and they can certainly cause problems!
This article is about a boy who is so allergic to the fragrance in a common body spray that he has been hospitalised many times for anaphylactic shock after being exposed to this fragrance.
However, due to the proprietary nature of the fragrance, they are unable to find out exactly what he is allergic to making it impossible to avoid.
Why Essential Oils Are A Healthier Option
Essential oils come from nature, and as long as they are PURE and they are NOT adulterated, your body knows what they are and what to do with them.
WE are a part of nature.
We have evolved with the plants that essential oils come from. The cells in our bodies have an innate intelligence that science is yet to understand.
The cells in your body understand and know what the components in essential oils are, and what to do with them.
God, Universal Intelligence, Source or whatever you want to call that energy that created us, connects us, and is within us, created perfection in the plants that have been put on this earth to feed us and to heal us.
There is nothing that is a mistake in nature, there is nothing that doesn’t fit. There is only perfection.
doTERRA Skin Care Products Are Infused With CPTG Essential Oils
doTERRA have skincare products that don’t contain the harmful chemicals that many other brands of skincare use, AND they are infused with doTERRA essential oils.
These are truly beautiful skin care products.
If you’d like to know what’s in them, doTERRA have provided detailed information and ingredient lists online. Here are some of them:
How To Make DIY Skin Care Products At Home
Making your own skin care products can be fun and easy. DIY skincare can range from something as simple as making essential oil roller ball blends, to making your own lotions and potions using oils and other ingredients, and there are loads of recipes available to help you do just that.
Imagine knowing exactly what you’re putting on your skin?… 😉
Imagine knowing exactly what you’re putting on the skin of your children… Think nappy rash, cuts and scrapes, chronic skin conditions and other childhood stuff…
This is where CPTG essential oils align perfectly with a desire for better health, AND a need to know that what you’re using is clean, pure and exactly what it should be.
The biggest issue I see with DIY can be in sourcing other clean ingredients to make your skin care!
I’ve seen people buying ready made ointment bases from suppliers and adding their own oils to them, believing that they’re doing a better thing when in fact, they may not be.
If you’re going to DIY – do it properly.
Just like home made in the kitchen, home made skin care ideally needs to be made from scratch, using ideally food quality, pure and organic ingredients.
Now, that’s enough ranting from me! Find suppliers you can trust and then get started. 🙂
Strawberry-Lime Sugar Scrub
Are you someone who likes skin care products that smell like fruit? Most fruity skin care products on the market are full of artificial fragrances and chemicals that trick your nose into thinking that it is the real thing, when it really isn’t. This DIY Strawberry-Lime Sugar Scrub smells like fresh strawberry jam and can be made at home in just a few easy steps.
Strawberry-Lime Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 drops Lime essential oil
- In a large plastic bag, add strawberries and crush with a rolling pin.
- Add crushed strawberries and sugar into large bowl.
- In a microwavable glass cup, add the organic virgin coconut oil and place in microwave for 15 seconds or until melted.
- In the glass cup with melted virgin coconut oil, add Fractionated Coconut Oil, vanilla extract, and Lime essential oil. Stir until combined and add to bowl with strawberries and sugar.
- Stir until everything is combined. If mixture looks too dry, add 1 teaspoon of Fractionated Coconut Oil at a time until consistency is right.
- Store in airtight container.
- To use, take a handful of scrub into hands and rub together until sugar dissolves. Rinse under warm water and pat dry. For added softness, rub hands with doTERRA SPA Hand & Body Lotion.
Home Made Moisturizing Lotion Bars
These natural moisturizing lotion bars are made from beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter and essential oils and they will nourish and soothe dry skin. Simply massage the bar on your skin and let your body’s natural heat melt the lotion. You are going to LOVE these!
DIY Moisturizing Lotion Bars
- 2/3 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil
- 15 drops doTERRA essential oil(s) Recommended essential oils: Citrus Bliss®, Peppermint, Lavender
- Measure all ingredients, except for essential oils, in large glass jar.
- Place jar in saucepan with one to one and a half inches of boiling water.
- Stir ingredients until combined.
- Once melted, remove from heat. Let rest three minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Pour mixture into silicone mold.
- Let mixture harden two to three hours. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in container until ready to use.
- For an exfoliating lotion bar, add oatmeal to the bottom of the mold.
Home Made Cuticle Cream
Cold weather can be tough on skin and cuticles. Making a homemade cuticle cream is a great way to bring moisture and health back to nails. This essential oil cuticle cream can also be used on hands, lips, or anywhere with dry spots.
DIY Cuticle Cream
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tsp beeswax
- 1 tbsp Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 7 drops Lavender or Myrrh essential oil
- In small glass container, combine shea butter, beeswax, and Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Place in saucepan with 1–1 ½ inches of boiling water.
- Stir ingredients for 5–10 minutes until combined.Tip: Use a popsicle stick for easy cleanup.
- Once melted, remove from heat and let rest for three minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Pour into container and let harden for 2–3 hours.
- To use, just apply a small amount to cuticles and rub until absorbed.
DIY Soothing Salve
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 1/2 tbsp vitamin E oil
- 5 drops Lavender oil
- 5 drops Cypress oil
- 5 drops Melaleuca oil
- 5 drops Frankincense oil
- 5 drops Eucalyptus oil
- Melt beeswax in double boiler.
- Once melted, add grapeseed, almond, and vitamin E oil until melted.
- Once combined, set aside for two to three minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Pour in container and allow to set for two hours.
- To use, apply to skin or on chest.
Sources: These recipes are from the doTERRA.com website. You can find them and many more at https://www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/